A gentle yet effective essential oil blend for eczema could include:
– German chamomile- the chemical components present in the essential oil make it a great anti-inflammatory. It has an amazing effect on inflamed skin, especially allergic rashes. It is also anti pruritic meaning it reduces itching to a great extent.
– Kashmir Lavender- is anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anxiolytic.
– Cedarwood- anti allergic, anti-bacterial and good for skin issues.
– Helichrysum immortelle- is wound healing and good for allergic responses.
In the above blend, I would consider German chamomile, lavender and cedarwood as the core essential oil as well as harmonizer, helichrysum as the enhancer. Helichrysum, cedarwood, and lavender are also known for their effect on the psyche and may help soothe the distress and anxiety that a child or person may face while dealing with eczema and dermatitis.
And I recommend virgin tamanu and coconut oil as the base oil. If calendula infused oil is not available, then it can be replaced with tamanu oil.
A blend need not have more than 3 essential oils. However, other great choices that can be considered are:
– Patchouli- calming, anti-inflammatory and reduced scar formation
– Palmarosa- reduces itching and pain (in wet and pus-filled kind), anti-bacterial, supports immunity
– Rose- skin regenerating, healing compromised or damaged skin. It can be substituted with rose geranium too.
If the skin is affected by allergic reactions or hives, which are rashes that are very itchy, inflamed and hot or warm to touch, aloe vera jelly could serve as a cooling carrier. While using aloevera gel I would reduce the dilution a bit more than what I would use with a traditional oil or butter as aloe era enhances absorption more than oils.